Thursday, January 31, 2013

The Nicaraguan Peacock

It still makes me smile. 

I call it the Peacock syndrome - Masayan-style. (I can't confirm that this phenomena occurs in other Nicaraguan cities, but it probably does.)
Man standing idly on a street corner. Pulls up his t-shirt so it rests slightly below his chest. Man sticks out his "beer belly" for all to see (appreciate?). Man smiles.
Something you would never see in Canada. 

Most Canadian men would run for cover before showing their fat belly. Or, in some cases even their love handles, right?

Here it's a different story.

I must admit that it is a custom I used to find rather odd. No longer. 

Coming from a weight-super-obsessed culture, the practice is kinda refreshing, isn't it?

These Nicaraguan peacocks could give a crap what other people think of their pot bellies. 

I'm gonna make it a New Year's resolution to give it a try. 

Just not this year. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment