Thursday, January 3, 2013

"Now I Have a Bank Account!"

I'm not talking about me.

I've had one since I've been five, or maybe six years old. It's something we take for granted in Canada and the United States.

But it's far from a given here in Nicaragua.

Actually it's pretty darn complicated.

I don't know what the numbers are but I'd say the majority of Nicaraguans don't have one.

Yep. Don't have a bank account.

The reason? The requirements to open an account are completely out-of-reach for Nicaraguan working class people (with outrageous initial deposits, minimum balances, etc.)

So when the Nicaraguan bank BAC (Banco de América Central) offered BECA the facility two years ago to transfer money to our students via the formal banking system I jumped all over it.

Not only can BECA get money in the hands of our students in an efficient manner via electronic transfers, but it gives the family of the student -- yes the family -- a footstep into the formal economy.

It's a progressive feature of our program that we don't talk about too much, but should be.

And I always look forward to this time of year to see the faces of the students with their new debit cards.

Everyone on the BECA team believes in these young people 100%. And this is BAC's way of saying that they believe too.

Don't the faces of Juana, Kevin, and Luvis say it all. Felicidades!

No comments:

Post a Comment