Thursday, January 2, 2014

The Gulping Elephant in the Room

Since 2008 I have been married to BECA.

And while the relationship continues to be a joyful one, 2014 will be a pivotal year for both of us.

How so?

I'm looking for my "wife" of five and a half years to exert herself and stand up on her on own.

At least a little bit.

Yes, I think the BECA program is truly wonderful and deserves a place in the Charity Hall of Fame, but . . . . I'm mildly partial. ;-)

At the end of the day the local participants should be the judges of that, right?

Herein lies the elephant question in the room: "Would BECA survive without Walter?"

 
At the end of January I intend to relinquish my formal role as Executive Director. (My supervisory role will continue.)

For the balance of 2014, I will be paying attention to the following three indicators:
  • The willingness of working program graduates to support new program entrants financially.
  • The level of student participation in the weekend community projects. (They will be optional in 2014.)
  • The will of the Nicaraguan staff to act impartially.
Ultimately, Nicaragua will decide my marriage's fate.

And I have no problem with that. 

[gulp]

No comments:

Post a Comment