Monday, November 10, 2008

BITTERSWEETNESS

After two weeks of administering exams, grading exams, marketing and campaigning, and prepping for training, I have finally reached the end. And like the finale of every temporary craze, there is that bittersweet feeling I couldn’t fully comprehend until I took one step back, sucked in some air, exhaled that air, and closed my eyes.

The Bitter:

Pilot #2 capped off a rewarding and genuinely beneficial experience for our becados and our organization. The Friday after the exam, I was invited to attend a graduation ceremony at our partner school, INTECOMP. Two pilots in a row, INTECOMP has impressed me, not only because of the quality of their professors and administrators, but also because of the unity of their students.


It is rare in any community, “emerging” or “developed”, to find institutions that unify their students in a way that INTECOMP does. Whether it is celebrating the birthday of Masaya, hosting speakers, or the graduation ceremony, INTECOMP brings our becados together, and fosters the development of more than the skills in our course – the development of friendships.


In many respects, I feel bitter lowering the curtain on Pilot #2.

The Sweet:

When something ends, something new begins. And with that, I am proud to announce that Pilot #3 is already underway.

There are things we will do differently. There are things we will improve. I look forward to perfecting our ground operation and reaching out to our Sponsors. I look forward to receiving feedback on our new website. And, most importantly, I look forward to sending more Nicaraguans to school at the beginning of 2009, and giving them the opportunity to embrace and shape their destinies.

2 comments:

  1. Comments on the website: I like the development of the site. Had visited a previous version and was impressed when I returned to the present one. Would like to have the option of giving "sponsorship" as a "gift". Like if I want to give my nephew the opportunity to sponsor one of your students, I would pay for the sponsorship and he would receive a link where he could upload a picture of himself and enter the information that you require for the sponsorship. Or as a present to one of those people that have "EVERYTHING" and it is hard to find something to give them for their birthday, holidays, etc..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the comment and input!

    Your idea is excellent, and something we intend to implement in the future. Currently, however, we are focused on polishing our new site, and prepping for the next round of students on December 22.

    I would suggest that your nephew input all of his information under your sponsorship, upload his photo, and send a student to school. Certainly, that is a great holiday gift!

    Thank you for the feedback on the new website as well. We are open to suggestions, and hope you enjoy the site.

    Best,
    Brian

    ReplyDelete