Monday, November 17, 2008

Looking for Candidates

Another round of "Curso Uno" -- BECA's introductory computer course -- is officially now underway.

One of the challenges might surprise you.

It is getting the word out; that is, getting the word out to those Nicaraguans that are "in need" and would love an opportunity to study for a career.

We figured out that one way might be to visit high schools and talk to the students who are in their final year of studies. (At this time, one of the only requirements of BECA is that the candidates have their high school diploma.)

Today I went on my first visits. Very interesting and some very interesting questions and comments:

"What does BECA get out of this?"
"If I succeed, will you send me to Canada?"
"I don't believe you."
"Are you sure I don't have to pay anything?" (Full disclosure: students in Curso Uno have to pay their own transport to the school.)
"So if I want to be a Doctor, I can do it with BECA?"
"My marks aren't that great, can I still apply?"

In general, most of the students were enthusiastic and listened carefully to this Gringo butchering their language in an animated attempt to attract interest. Unfortunately, when I get excited, my Spanish deteriorates from bad to badder. :)

Now, let's see how many actually apply. I'll keep you posted.


No comments:

Post a Comment