Thursday, December 12, 2013

2013: The Beauty and the Beast

This video captures some of BECA's finest moments of the past twelve months.

Very much to celebrate!




But . . . it doesn't tell the whole story.

Of my six years in Nicaragua, 2013 goes down as my most challenging to date.

Frankly, 2013 was a beast.

Where do I begin? My pet project (Project Call Center) was shuttered, BECA experienced lower than expected student participation in our weekend social projects, the ex-director of BECA started legal proceedings against the foundation, and the program received poor marks from -- wait for this -- the students themselves! [sigh]

We have plenty of work to do.

I should say, the BECA team has plenty of work to do. 

2013 was the first year with BECA's own graduates in charge and they responded positively to my calls for independence and professionalism. Most of the decision-making was theirs.

And, despite the adversities, they passed with flying colors. 

It has been my dream that BECA's staff be composed entirely of its own graduates. And my dream will be realized in early 2014 when I plan to formally step down as Director.

I believe with my whole heart in these young people.

And next year's video?

It'll be a beauty. 

No comments:

Post a Comment