Thursday, September 5, 2013

A-S-S-U-M-E

In founding BECA.org in 2008, I was driven by four assumptions.

Assumption #1. There are an abundance of Nicaraguan high school graduates who don't continue studying solely because they don't have the money to do so.

Assumption #2. Assumption #1 is a social problem.

Assumption #3. This social problem can be resolved.

Assumption #4. I have the ingenuity to solve the problem.

Five years have passed. Let's recheck the the veracity of those four assumptions.

On assumptions 1 and 2, I remain resolute. The lack of educational opportunites for serious-minded high school grads remains a serious social problem in Nicaragua.

Neither will I waiver with respect to assumption #3. I believe the social problem is indeed solvable. Admittedly, BECA won't be able to do it alone. BECA can lead but will need to involve more social actors to make a permanent difference.

Assumption #4 is a little different.

For the longest time I swore by #4; that this Gringo founder knew better and had the answers to resolve the social problem.

I was mistaken.

No where has this been more evident than in this last year.

I tepidly yielded almost all decision-making responsability to the BECA.org team (which, by the way, is entirely composed of program graduates).

Still clinging desperately onto #4, I couldn't help but stick my nose in a few times to offer my "superior" first-world advice.

The results have not been optimal.

They know better.

No comments:

Post a Comment