Thursday, June 21, 2012

What I Learn From Sudoku

I've written before that I'm a Sudoku nut.

And sometimes people look at me funny when I confess my passion for it. ("Sudo-who?")

I start every day with Sudoku. About an hour or so.

I want to share three things that I've learned from Sudoku, and that I try to apply in my life, occasionally with success.
  1. There are no shortcuts. I have a tried and true routine to solve my puzzles in an efficient manner. Whenever I deviate, or try to implement some kind of "faster-quicker" idea, the results are mixed at best.
  2. Be satisfied with a good result. It isn't necessary to beat a record every day. No crime to quit with a solid, but perhaps not outstanding result. ("Quit while you're ahead?") The next solving time could be much worse.
  3. There is always a solution. My average time to solve is 8 minutes. My record time is 4 minutes, but it can take as long as half an hour sometimes. Sometimes the answer doesn't appear right away, but it will come eventually if I remain patient.
Now, don't get me wrong, to me Sudoku is very much a hobby of pleasure. And I don't do it to garner deep insights.

But like my Dad used to say, you can learn something from everyone (and everything)!

Could this be the solution to my Spanish problems?

No comments:

Post a Comment