Thursday, April 5, 2012

To Bribe or Not To Bribe

"But we are not seeking to profit here. We're trying to contribute."

This is how I reacted when one of our advisors told us three years ago that a Nicaraguan government official was seeking a payment . . . to officially register BECA as a foreign-based non-profit working in Nicaragua!

Sign in Government Office in Managua

Huh?

After asking around, I grudgingly approved the "back alley" payment of around 50 bucks. I felt our hands were tied. BECA needed the registration to get our bank account. (Not that that makes it right, right?)

Payoffs to traffic cops are common in Nicaragua. Those I had heard about. And also an activity in which I have willingly participated. Otherwise, the weasels confiscate your driver's license. (Not that that makes it right, right?)

Private enterprise is in the game, too. "I'm sorry sir, but all the connections to the router are spoken for in this city block," suggested the CLARO sales representative when I ordered Internet service for the old office.

Huh?

The lack of competition forced an under-the-table payment to the seƱor. We really needed the service. We use technology quite a bit. (Not that that makes it right, right?)

Miraculously, a spot became available on the router the next day.

For the record, I regret every single bribe paid.

What to do? What would you do?

I'm still not sure what I'll do the next time a government official demands payment from BECA.

But I know this much.

Bring on the traffic cop. Now I always have two driver's licenses on hand when I'm driving in Nicaragua (one Canadian, one Nicaraguan).

They can help themselves to one of them.

(That makes it right, right?)

No comments:

Post a Comment