Thursday, October 24, 2013

The Mystery of a Messy Masaya

The Nicaraguan town in which I live is called Masaya.

It's quaint, lively, and friendly.

And one big fat mess.

This month (October 2013) I celebrate six years in Nicaragua. And to this day all the garbage on the street remains a huge mystery to me.

A mystery for two reasons.

First, Masayans are fastidiously clean. Masayan homes are immaculate. They're spotless!

Second, Nicaraguans are patriotic people. They are extremely proud of their heritage and their beautiful country. It befuddles me why they choose not to pay attention to communal areas and their precious land.

When I receive new visitors to Masaya, I welcome them with two advices.

1) "Mind the cars."

2) "Don't mind the garbage."

They always have a harder time with the second one.


No comments:

Post a Comment