Wednesday, August 14, 2013

I Believe in You

"Creo en usted."

I go around saying this all the time to BECA's students (and to BECA's staff).

I say it in e-mail communications.

I say it in blog commentaries.

And I say it in person, when I get the chance.

I suspect that some students are even tired of hearing it. "There goes Walter again with his I believe in you shtick."

Why do I continue?

It's the basic principle upon which BECA is founded. A belief in the young people of Nicaragua.

The scholarship is a way of confirming that belief in them.

Happily most BECA scholars finish their studies. But not all do. Sometimes the harsh realities of life here dictate.

And I'm okay with that.

What matters to me is that this tiny organization steps up to that serious-minded young person and says "Here you go. You deserve this opportunity. We believe in you."

That, folks, is what it's all about.

Today, August 14, 2013, marks the "official" five-year anniversary of BECA.org Nicaragua. It's an opportune moment for me to turn the tables a little bit and say . . .

Thank you to my supportive family and my lifelong friends.

Thank you to the people who have advised me along the way.

Thank you to all of the becados since day one and to their families.

Thank you to the current BECA staff: Maryury, Reynaldo, and Urania.

Thank you for what?

Thank you for BELIEVING IN ME and this little idea I had.

I am very grateful.

It's been the best five years of my life.

2 comments:

  1. Walter, I've been following and reading your blog posts. I think it's great what you've been doing in Nicaragua! I know those families (even the ones that have not stick with it) have had a great life changing experience. I thank you for BELIEVING in my Nicaragua. I wish there were more people like you going there and believing, and doing what they can to help my people believe in theirselves and their potential.
    I BELIEVE in you! GRACIAS! Que Dios te siga bendiciendo!
    Griselda Garcia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Griselda. Your comment really makes my day (my week, my month)!

    ReplyDelete