Thursday, August 23, 2012

Just When I Thought . . .

Community service has been an important part of BECA from the beginning. Why was community service included in the BECA program? You know I can't really remember, but it had something to do with introducing the concept of "giving back" to these young people.

We began in 2008 with individual projects. They were difficult and costly to supervise.

We moved to a group service model in 2009.

Every student is "asked" to participate in two Saturday morning service outings per month that are organized by BECA Coordinators.

Since reassuming the Directorship three months ago, I've been attending these things as much as I can to see if this core program component is working.

Yuck. Not too impressive.

And I was starting to get a little depressed about the lacklustre participation and the eager clock-watching of our students.

It was obvious that most of the students didn't want to be there.

And I'm not sure I blame them. Way, WAY too much cleaning and cutting grass. Of hospitals. Of schools. Of public health centers.

What adolescent, or young adult, -- or human being, for that matter -- likes doing boring stuff like that?

And then, as my fog about all of this thickened, along comes last Saturday; a visit to a home for high-risk girls in Granada.

Folks, there is light at the end of the tunnel!

I was moved to tears by the power of this simple gathering and exchange of fellowship between BECA students and the 23 girls who live there.

The beaming faces on those girls -- and on our students -- made every previous grass-cutting, trash-picking, and wall-scrubbing activity worthwhile, if it all led to a day like this.

So why does community service remain in the BECA program? I'm still not completely sure, but I think the answer lies somewhere below.

BECA Students Larry and Heissy with friends. See more pictures here.

No comments:

Post a Comment