Friday, October 21, 2011

I Love It When I Hear These Three Things


I'm not really sure when it happened.

Last year?

Five years ago?

Maybe it was 1986. (I doubt it though. I was a very late maturer. Ahem. I am.)

Anyway, I can't quite remember.

But this happened.

I began to appreciate and admire when people admitted their failings.

I realized this the other day when I was spending some time with a couple of BECA students here in Nicaragua.

One of them tried very hard to answer a question, and eventually made something up. They thought it better to take a wild stab at it than admit that they really didn't have the foggiest idea.

(His wrong answer almost led us into a lagoon, but that is another story.)

I suggested that sometimes it is better to say "I don't know."

Him and his buddy marvelled at the concept, like it was some kind of Einsteinian revelation.

The funny thing is that I'm positive I used to think that way too. And, like I say -- I don't know exactly when -- I changed my tune.

I find myself attracted to the people who unreservedly offer any of the following:
  1. I was wrong.
  2. I don't know.
  3. I'm sorry.
[Honour roll: "You're right." "I have no idea." "I screwed up."]

In closing, allow me to turn the tables and make mention of one of my least favorite: "I am a humble person." Fodder for another blog, I suppose . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment