Monday, September 22, 2008

169 years young

As a stranger in a strange land, I often feel like I'm learning as much as our becados. This is especially true when we are invited to join our becados in Nicaraguan festivities.

On September 2, we were invited to celebrate the birthday of Masaya with partner school, INTECOMP. It started with an early mass at the Church of Our Lady of the Assumption in the center of town, and followed with a march from the central plaza to the city's old train station.

As we walked together through the city streets during the heat of the day, I felt honored to be a part of this march. I was honored to be associated with individuals so proud of their city, and to be surrounded by a dynamic group of becados that are a part of our program.











There is no doubt that one of the best parts of my job is the cultural immersion that comes with it. Cultural immersion gives me insight and helps me understand the world around me. That said, it is my hope that our sponsors one day accept our invitations for a visit, just as I do when an invitation is thrown my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment