Friday, September 9, 2011

Funny Names

They give their children interesting names in Nicaragua.

Yeah sure Nicaragua has it's fair share of Josés, Juans, Anas, and the ubiquitous Marías. (Fun fact: 6% of BECA female students are "Marías.")

But then come the Adalias, Arelis, Arlens  . . . the Elidas, Maximas, Kelins, Igdanias . . . the Jhelems, Lisllems, Kelins . . . the Lesbias, Seferinas, Tirsas, and Zenias.

And I'm just getting started.

As far as I can tell, parents have a refreshingly freewheeling attitude when it comes to naming their children, that's all.

During house visits, I've asked the parents where the names come from. The most typical response: "I heard it somewhere."

Most of the time I leave scratching my head, wondering . . .
     heard it on television? 
     in the market? 
     saw it in a newspaper? 
     saw something like it in the bible?

Jorge and Family (August 2011)
Sometimes, I am not left to wonder.

Last week I asked BECA student Jorge's mother -- who is a single parent -- the same question about Jorge's sister.

The father chose her name. 

Henike.







No comments:

Post a Comment