Saturday, August 13, 2011

The Luckiest Man in the World (Part 2)

A dear friend of mine goes goofy on me when I attribute something in life to "luck."

"Luck is not in my vocabulary," he beams proudly.

Then go ahead and explain this one, bud. :)

Having a good father.

Walter Hunchak (ca. 2008)
I can't explain my good fortune any other way.

I didn't pick him. He was just there.

And was* he ever there. A decent, soft-spoken fellow. Always quietly supportive of me through all my trials and tribulations. (And there have been a few.) Never, ever judgmental.

What did I do to deserve him? Beats me.

This simple fact resonates loudly for me here in Nicaragua.

Why?

It is astounding how many of the students in BECA don't have a father.

Or a good father.

I have a father. And he's a great one.

That would be lucky squared, no? 

*If you are wondering, Dad isn't doing so good these days. He is struggling with advanced dementia. Happily, he remains an active participant in my life by his wonderful examples I feebly attempt to live up to on a daily basis.

2 comments:

  1. Easy explanation. Your Father is a "gift", or "blessing". In its purest form, neither is a negotiated deal, or requires you to "do" anything to be the recipient. Receiving a gift however, may inspire a person to give to others that may not feel that they did anything to deserve their gift. This inspirational attitude may not stop there. If the first gift was felt by one individual, and they reciprocate by gifting more than one individual, and this continues, then the exponential power will easily exceed the paltry "squared" that you see here. Your father made a decision to be a supportive,non-judgmental person. I cannot be convinced that these acts are random chance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually don't respond to "anonymous" comments, but I'll make an exception this time. Playing devil's advocate, would that mean that the young Nicaraguan kid with the abusive father is "unblessed"? No, of course not. It doesn't work that way, does it? He or she is "blessed" in other ways, I'm sure will go the response.

    ReplyDelete