Friday, May 14, 2010

Paying More

How would you feel if the gardening service (or, for you Canadians, snow-shovelling service) charged you $75 and charged the neighbor $50 . . . and your yard (errr, sidewalk) was bigger?

I don't think you would like it too much. Well that happens here to me in Nicaragua.

Not always.

Not everyday.

But it happens.

I call it paying "el precio gringo" (gringo price).

It used to really bother me and I'd get really worked up about it -- especially if it something as blatant as paying a higher fare on a bus when the person sitting right beside you is paying less.

You could say it is a fact of life for me here in Nicaragua. What's a person to do?

I break it down this way. When it comes to personal expenses I have learned to accept the idea. They probably have the idea that "gringos" have more money and can afford to pay more. Guess what? Generally speaking, they are right and I can't argue with the logic.

It gets a little more complicated when it comes to BECA. I still get annoyed when "they" want to charge the BECA Foundation more for stuff just because we are a North American organization. Now we are talking about the money of donors. Moreover, we are talking about money that goes to helping Nicaraguans! Geez.

Here is a summary of my "paying more" strategy:

BECA stuff: Fortunately, we have Antonio. I stay away from negociations in the hopes that they not realize a "gringo" is involved. Sometimes it makes a difference.
Walter stuff: Pay the "precio gringo." And smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment