Monday, January 31, 2011

It's Not What You Know but . . .

I was taught early in my "business" career the importance of having good professional help.

"Never skimp on professional fees," I was told. "An excellent lawyer and/or accountant is worth his or her weight in gold" said another. Blah, blah, blah . .  .

Who is this Man?* (answer below)
It isn't so easy to put into practice. Who in their right mind feels good about forking over $400 or $500 bucks . . . AN HOUR???

I learned to pay it and usually -- not always, but most of the time -- the advice I received paid dividends.

Back to present day Nicaragua.

What a nightmare.

BECA is now moving on to lawyer #6.I can't for the life of me find a decent, dependable lawyer here in Nicaragua.

This leads me to the premise of this blog.

I DON'T KNOW ANYBODY *#$&#(&$#!

It's one of the challenges I face working on BECA.

Back home, you pick up the phone. You phone a friend or family member. Someone whose opinion you trust. You get a reference. Boom, you're in business.

I can't do that here. There is no one to phone.

I'll tell you one thing. It makes me appreciate like CRAZY what our ancestors went through when they immigrated at the turn of the century.

Cripes they couldn't even speak the language.


Hmmm.

I guess that kinda applies to me too.

*About that picture. Do a Google image search for "lawyer nightmare." He's a lawyer whose pic comes up right near the top. Poor unsuspecting guy probably wrote an article at some point on some kind of complicated legal case he had. Too funny!

No comments:

Post a Comment