Sunday, October 10, 2010

Punctuality and other Minor Irritations

Punctuality.

I remember when I learned about it. I was an early twenty-something whippersnapper showing up 17 minutes late for a meeting.

Yes, I remember the 17 minutes. I even remember the look of the clock on the wall. That would be 1:17 pm. Or should I say, that would be 1:17 pm when the dressing down began. Maybe 1:18 if we allow one minute for the peddling of my lame excuse (bad traffic, a classic right?).

It only lasted about 30 seconds -- the dressing down, that is -- but I've never forgotten it.

"No more late for me" I remember saying to myself.

So, here we go again. A little less than 30 years later. The punctuality pill rears its ugly head.

One difference. This time I'm on the other side of the fence.

Punctuality -- or should I say the lack thereof -- drives me bonkers here in Nicaragua.

During BECA's introductory 3 month computer course we stress the importance of being punctual. In fact, students risk losing their scholarship eligibility if they show up to class late too many times.

Most of them comply. Then they apply for their second scholarship, receive funding (if they are fortunate) and then . . . all hell breaks loose. Overnight, they just seem to care about it anymore. 

Ughhh.What's a person to do?

We've tried different tactics this year: rewards, punishments, cajoling, pep talks. Nothing seems to work very well.

It would help if the schools we partner with were like-minded. Unfortunately, they are often willing accomplices.

What the heck is the students' problem?

[pause]

[mucho deep breath]

They don't have a problem.

I do.

Tranquilo, Walter. [Take it easy]

P.S. How weird is that to find on the Internet an image of a clock displaying exactly 1:17 pm? I guess someone else has the same problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment