Thursday, September 23, 2010

A Different Point of View

Once in a while, a volunteer "from a strange land" lands in Masaya. Most of the time, these aliens are University students from the United States, but they can come from other places as well.

They come for a three to six month period. My understanding is that more often than not their volunteer gig is associated with their program of studies back home.

Or they come to gather experience for their resume. Or, they come to do some "development" work.

It doesn't really matter why they come. But they come.

I see them in the streets sometimes.

(ASIDE: The funny thing is that usually not a peep is exchanged when we cross paths. Kinda weird. But back to the story . . . )

Anyway, I always wonder what they think of this place; you know, like what exactly is going on in their heads. After all, Nicaragua is very different from the U.S. or Canada or Germany or Holland. VERY different.

Difficult to know.

Until now.

I stumbled upon the blog of Chris Rhodenbaugh, where Chris documents his recent 2 1/2 month stay here in Masaya, Nicaragua. (He volunteered at one of the schools BECA works with. Sadly, I never met the guy.)

And talk about an insightful, dense read. Such detail!

I especially enjoyed what he has to say about his work on a couple of "sustainable" projects he spent his time on.

So, when time permits you, and for a change in gears from my brief, opinionated rants, I highly recommend his post Summary of My Work in Nicaragua.

For the alien point of view.

No comments:

Post a Comment